Spiky Club :: Forums :: Gaming :: Fantasy Battle

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Ground Rules for Warhammer Campaign
Moderators: Admin, spikydavid, spikyjames, nevercrashed, babychaos, Nostromo
Author Post
sgu97bjd
Sun Jul 12 2015, 06:16PM
Registered Member #2041
These are my initial thoughts on a campaign.

Assuming that there were 6 of us (not sure if Donny and Sam read the forums but if not either me or someone else can mention it to them next week), I would aim for 10 rounds (so we each played each other twice) starting in September and aiming for 2 games per month. The games would be mostly 8th edition Warhammer with a couple of rounds of Age of Sigmar thrown in and possibly one round of either a multiplayer game or Triumph and Treachery. I will come up with different scenarios for each round, some of which will be based on the ones from the Rulebook (with certain tweaks), others will be completely new. It will be a narrative campaign rather than map based (mainly because maps seems like a whole load of hard work) so the outcome of one battle will have certain influences on future battles as well as giving your characters and units an opportunity to improve as the campaign progresses.

One thing we probably need to decide on first are which rules we use, which we ignore and which we change. The main questions that I think we need to answer are:

What, if any of the new rules from the End Times do we use?
Do we use 25% or 50% for Lords and Heroes?
My personal view is 25% but will go with majority decision

Do we allow Legion lists?
My vote would be no but again it’s up to the majority

Do we allow new units from the End Times books? If so do they need any sort of comp?
My view is we should be able to use the new units (not the special characters) but that Stormfiends need dialling down a bit. I would say get rid of the reroll failed wounds but not sure if this is over compensating. Antoinne might be the best person to suggest how best to comp them.

Do we make any changes to the magic rules as all of us seem to prefer magic having less of an influence?
I would say either; no number 6 spells; or 5 dice casting cap; or both.

Are there any units / items in the game that need comping to keep things balanced?
I don’t think we need to go overboard on this, it’s only the things that have the potential to ruin games that we probably need to sort out. Here the ones that strike me as possibly needing toning down:

WOC Daemon Princes (maybe remove the unbreakable rule)
Doomfire Warlocks (make the miscast result “no saves of any kind” rather than “no armour saves”)
Banner of the World Dragon (increase to 75 points)
Hellpit Abominations (Get rid of the “Too Horrible to Die” number 6 result)
Third Eye of Tzeentch (Can’t be combined with a 3+ ward)
Casket of Souls (miscast result kills one randomly determined crew member)
I would possibly add Skull Cannons and Beasts of Nurgle to this list but I don’t think any of us will use these anyway. Let me know what you think of the ones above and if there are any others that need adding.

With the magic restrictions we will need some way of preventing deathstars.
My solution would be restrict it so that no one unit (including characters) can be worth more than one third of the points of the whole army.

Can each of you answer the questions above so we can get a general consensus. When we’ve got that I’ll post up some specifics about the campaign itself.
Dean
Sun Jul 12 2015, 07:37PM
Registered Member #138
sorry double posted

[ Edited Sun Jul 12 2015, 07:42PM ]
Dean
Sun Jul 12 2015, 07:39PM
Registered Member #138
Thanks for doing this Ben

I would vote for the following:
no End Times at all (no Endtimes units, magic or legion lists)

And I support all the following
WOC Daemon Princes (maybe remove the unbreakable rule)
Doomfire Warlocks (make the miscast result “no saves of any kind” rather than “no armour saves”)
Banner of the World Dragon (increase to 75 points)
Hellpit Abominations (Get rid of the “Too Horrible to Die” number 6 result)
Third Eye of Tzeentch (Can’t be combined with a 3+ ward)
Casket of Souls (miscast result kills one randomly determined crew member)

but I reckon that probably enough comp, the other stuff I don't mind either way (25%/50% heroes etc)

Biggest problem will be choosing which army to use

Dean

[ Edited Sun Jul 12 2015, 07:44PM ]
spikyandy
Sun Jul 12 2015, 10:06PM
spikyandy

Registered Member #4
I agree on no end times magic, and I would prefer to see max 25% lords, and 25% heroes rather than 50% of each.

Legions thing I'm tempted to say yes just because I was thinking of using Vampire Counts and it would be nice to have some skeleton bowmen and a catapult for some shooting, however, the other two legion lists I would agree banning.

No end times might put Donny and Sam off though, it could be just the four of us.
beardyfluffbag
Mon Jul 13 2015, 12:44PM
Registered Member #40
I might be able to join this as summer holidays mean I will be down more
spikyandy
Mon Jul 13 2015, 12:57PM
spikyandy

Registered Member #4
I'll ask my friend Rob if he wants to join in.

What armies are people thinking of bringing?

I might go with the Empire or Bretonnia.
Dean
Mon Jul 13 2015, 01:46PM
Registered Member #138
I'm think of either High Elves or Dwarfs

Dean
sgu97bjd
Mon Jul 13 2015, 07:10PM
Registered Member #2041
The more the merrier. Its always good to get other people involved.

Hopefully Donny and Sam can be persuaded to join even without the lure of End Times. There are elements of it i don't mind incorporating, such as Lore of Undeath and some of the new units, but i don't think any of the rest of us want Khaine magic.

Andy, if we are going to ban the Elf and Chaos legion lists it might be difficult to allow Undead legions, but i see you are thinking of using a human army anyway.

I'll be bringing Orc and Goblins.

If we keep this post going for general discussion i will start a new post later with the first installment of the campaign itself.
spikyandy
Tue Jul 14 2015, 12:42PM
spikyandy

Registered Member #4
sgu97bjd wrote ...

Andy, if we are going to ban the Elf and Chaos legion lists it might be difficult to allow Undead legions, but i see you are thinking of using a human army anyway.

Now that it's set in and around the Empire I'll bring my Empire.
Kynes
Tue Jul 14 2015, 03:50PM
Registered Member #175
Is it a campaign or a tournament that you want to do? If this is a tournament then yes, we need some comp rules te prevent excessively strong lists. If it is a campaign, just give the narrative context and everyone will try to bring something that will match your story and that will be pleasant to play with and against.

The best thing we could do I thing for a campaign is to create original scenarios, this way, the situation will be new and the best units may not be the same as usual. Battle lines scenario is good for tournaments games, but will be boring in a campaign.

There can be scenarios before or during end times, even storm of magic scenarios if you want, or age of sigmar.

This is how I see things, but maybe this is not exactly what you want.

[ Edited Tue Jul 14 2015, 03:52PM ]
sgu97bjd
Tue Jul 14 2015, 05:54PM
Registered Member #2041
Hey Antoinne. Yes it will definitely be a campaign rather than a tournament. the idea will be that each game will be a unique scenario although some will be based to an extent on the rulebook scenarios others will be completely different. I've written the first couple but will probably not put any specifics up at the moment as I need to think how I fit them into an overarching story.

I've tried to keep the comp to a minimum but just in case we get others from outside the four of us joining I didn't anyone putting in an elf legion list with 20 warlocks and 50 true flight archers as that would not be fun regardless of what the scenario is.

Hopefully this can be something different to our normal games where the story becomes more important than the outcome of various games. Although there will be campaign points to allow us to crown the eventual winner.

Oh, and if anyone thinks I am going off course from what you expected let me know and I will adjust accordingly.

[ Edited Tue Jul 14 2015, 05:56PM ]
beardyfluffbag
Thu Jul 16 2015, 01:36PM
Registered Member #40
Ill probably be bringing the brets and will be down from the 31st
sgu97bjd
Thu Jul 16 2015, 02:08PM
Registered Member #2041
Good stuff. Antoinne, what is the earliest you could start?
spikyandy
Thu Jul 16 2015, 04:49PM
spikyandy

Registered Member #4
Rob is up for this, I imagine he'll use his Ogres.
Kynes
Thu Jul 16 2015, 07:22PM
Registered Member #175
I can start from the 14th of august, I'll be probably be using skavens
spikyandy
Sun Jul 19 2015, 09:54AM
spikyandy

Registered Member #4
Donny said he and Sam are up for this.

Presumably Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts, but I'll check.
Dean
Sun Jul 19 2015, 10:33AM
Registered Member #138
When I spoke to Donnie he wanted to use Kislev! Apparently there was a mini list printed once, I as a bit "that's not proper codex" but it would add some interesting flavour.

I'm planning on using High Elves (feel a bit dirty but the Dwarf book just isn't as versatile much as I love them)

Dean

[ Edited Sun Jul 19 2015, 10:34AM ]
sgu97bjd
Sun Jul 19 2015, 12:19PM
Registered Member #2041
I don't mind him using Kislev as long as the army book isn't over the top. I have seen it before but don't remember all the details. One thing he might want to bear in mind is how many points of Kislev he has. As I said in the other post 2,400 is the most he will NEED, but having more will be an advantage.

Looks like we are good to start on the 14th. We'll aim to do a campaign round every 2 weeks so if you can't make the 14th for example you can complete your game the following week and not fall behind.

I guess I'd better start writing scenarios.... The first few are done and I will post up week 1 soon. We also will all need to post up our Campaign Lists before week 1 in the other post. I'll kick this off next week.

[ Edited Sun Jul 19 2015, 12:22PM ]
Dean
Mon Jul 20 2015, 08:10PM
Registered Member #138
Ben

Just wanted to check something on army list creation. Do you buy the wizard lord and he is restricted to level 2 magic at the start, or do you buy the wizard hero and he get promoted to a lord later on?

Dean

[ Edited Mon Jul 20 2015, 08:13PM ]
sgu97bjd
Mon Jul 20 2015, 08:42PM
Registered Member #2041
Good question. You buy a L2 hero and if he is your named wizard he can get powered up to L4 Lord but when that happens you have to pay the extra points for him when you play him in games.

I've amended the selection rules so that everyone can spend up to 50% on characters in total rather than the 25:25 split otherwise the hero allowance can disappear very quickly.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF