<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
If not MSU then what?
Moderators: Admin, spikydavid, spikyjames, nevercrashed, babychaos, Nostromo
Author Post
marshalzion
Fri Sep 05 2014, 09:47AM
Registered Member #6
It seems MSU is the way 7th is going.

But what if you dont to conform to such type lists.

Is there anything we could take as a counter or a tactic that could be useful.

spikydavid
Tue Sep 09 2014, 11:42AM
spikydavid

Registered Member #2
Put 150 models on the board as the ultimate in area denial - doesn't matter how many scoring units you have if you can't get within 3" of an objective
Nostromo
Tue Sep 09 2014, 02:47PM

Registered Member #136
I think there are ways to counter it, and in certain game types (tactical escalation being an obvious example) there are distinct disadvantages to small units (such as them mostly being dead or running by turn 4 onwards).

I still think going first gives you more of an advantage than almost anything else in maelstrom missions... Still can't see the downside. As a combination this is certainly difficult to counter - If you go first and have lots of small units, you can rack up points quickly if the game-type suits. Exhibit A = Eldar vs. Templars at the chess clock event. Without an initiative steal it was almost impossible.

Almost.
spikydavid
Thu Sep 11 2014, 08:38AM
spikydavid

Registered Member #2
Agreed - possibly the best counter is just to play Eternal War missions - although any of the armies I've been using are equally well suited to those, as well. Lots of small units are less survivable, and less able to hang around until turn five when they are needed for Eternal War

Technically, it's a dice-off to see which set of missions you play, if you and your opponent differ (though it's more collaborative at the club). Warfare, as a tournament, have elected to play all Maelstrom missions. I know HATE went with two of each for their one day event, but that was escalating (so different) armies.

It'll be interesting to see at future events, in particular, how armies fare in that sort of 'mixed' environment
marshalzion
Thu Sep 11 2014, 09:28AM
Registered Member #6
We do seem to be building the counter to deall with type unit.

Orks 104 boys vs your MSU 10 rokkits plus charge.

Terminators in big units.

Lots of wolves

Perhaps in the long view we smash them to pieces.

[ Edited Thu Sep 11 2014, 09:30AM ]
spikydavid
Sat Sep 27 2014, 11:17AM
spikydavid

Registered Member #2
I think it's worth a try, at least. A green tide, plus two other thirty boy units, with characters to suit. It nullifies half the opponent's tactical objectives, as they can't destroy anything

It would make for very low scoring games, but is definitely a thought
marshalzion
Mon Sep 29 2014, 11:58AM
Registered Member #6
I wonder if same logic could work with a black tide.

20 man crusader squads.

Or for that matter blob guard.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF