<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Who plays what?
Moderators: Admin, spikydavid, spikyandy, babychaos, nosferatu1001, Nostromo
Author Post
spikyandy
Tue Apr 19 2011, 04:11PM
spikyandy

Registered Member #4
Woo hoo, first post in this new section.

Who plays what in the world of board games, I've been playing lots of Dominion with uni buddies, but play lots of other games as well.

Andy
spikydavid
Wed Apr 20 2011, 08:20AM
spikydavid

Registered Member #2
I play Puerto Rico, Settlers, Dominion on my phone, Dungeon Lords, and need to play Le Havre and gates of Loyang. I win 1960
babychaos
Wed Apr 20 2011, 08:25AM

Registered Member #14
I'm off to Baycon next weekend, hoping to give 7 Wonders a go, and I'll be taking down Stone Age, Dungeon Lords, Race for the Galaxy, Small World and Dominion. Probably also Tomb as a bit of comedy light-relief.

I quite like Fantasy Flight big games, (Starcraft, Descent, Doom), but rarely get a chance to play them as they take so damn long!
spikydavid
Wed Apr 20 2011, 10:10AM
spikydavid

Registered Member #2
I do like Tomb, but it is horribly unbalanced - the best thing to do is just get a big party, there's a single trap which utterly screws you if you do, but otherwise, it's always the right thing to do

It's fun, though, and well done for a dungeon crawl, plus a little more interactive than Runebound

I've never played any of the FF big games that you mention - though speaking of big FF games, I do have Horus Heresy, which I would love to play more often...

[ Edited Wed Apr 20 2011, 10:11AM ]
spikyandy
Wed Apr 20 2011, 10:18AM
spikyandy

Registered Member #4
A friend of mine was goign on about small world, been meaning to try it out.

What's Baycon?
babychaos
Wed Apr 20 2011, 10:23AM

Registered Member #14
We always end up with all the monsters in one crypt (some specific monster calls them all in), and all the players forming queues to try and clear it. I've always thought that there is too much treasure, and not enough traps.

I'm up for giving Horus Heresy a go at some point...I've been looking at it, but couldn't quite justify the price tag for a game I'd rarely play.

Descent and Doom are both OK, but really suffer wobbly balance - unless the Overlord player plays "nice", then it can be a brutally short campaign. If he does play nice late game the players are un-stoppable once tooled up. The Overlord has specific win conditions, so shouldn't really be played as a GM-sort of role.

Starcraft is great if you like brutal violence and ganging up on people, but again takes a long time to play. It's completely dice-less, which means that you can plan fairly well, however it can make receiving a well-planned assault one-sided carnage.

Baycon is a board-games convention down near Exeter...I'm heading down with some friends from Finchley Boardgames Club.

Horribly out of date website for it...

[ Edited Wed Apr 20 2011, 10:25AM ]
spikydavid
Thu Apr 21 2011, 03:17PM
spikydavid

Registered Member #2
babychaos wrote ...

I'm up for giving Horus Heresy a go at some point...I've been looking at it, but couldn't quite justify the price tag for a game I'd rarely play.

I'm happy to bring it down at some point to the club - alternately happy to give you a game some time when you have a free evening...

James has a copy, too, which needs more play time

[ Edited Thu Apr 21 2011, 03:18PM ]
Fox
Mon May 02 2011, 11:14AM
Registered Member #93
Anybody heard about a board game called Hero Quest, we have one of them here and if anybody was intrested I'm sure I can bring it down one night!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF